Thursday, April 10, 2014

Marimekko Unikko Curtains Complete!



This week I finished my Marimekko curtains!  I am quite proud of them.  This is my second time making curtains.  The first curtains were a bit of a disaster but were up for many years, I am not proud to say.  DH is quite proud of anything I make by hand, however, and faithfully opened and closed them even though their width just barely covered the windows.  They weren’t lined, either.

The Marimekko fabric was just wide enough to make the curtains 1.5 times as wide as the window.  Also, I used the small Unikko scale for the valance and the medium scale for the curtains.  Believe it or not, there is an even larger scale fabric that I bought.  That scale is too large for curtains but is perfect for a wall hanging or table runner.





This was also the first time I used the hemming foot on my sewing machine.  What took me so long?  It was easy once I got the hang of it.




This was my first time using grommets, too.  I suggest grommet practice for anyone who hasn’t installed them before.  




I love the selvedge so I left it in!



Linking up to Finish It Up Friday!

4 comments:

Jen said...

They look great. I like how you left the selvage in there too. A nice touch.

MalinisQuilts said...

Your curtains are looking awesome! I love the touch of grommet!

Cambridge Modern Quilt Guild said...

Those look fantastic! I don't think it's ever occurred to me that something with grommets could possibly be homemade!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

LOVE THESE! They really came out great! So fresh and clean...but nice to look at each day. Good use of the grommets....I usually just sew a seam and stick the rod through! LOL!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...